Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Paying it Backward

I've been hearing about this Pay it Forward thing for a long time. It takes many shapes and forms, but basically, it's doing a good turn for someone else for no reason at all.

The most common form of this is to pay for the person's meal who is behind you in the drive-thru line at McDonalds. (At least that's the one I've heard the most about.) So, I'm in the drive-thru line today. Ordered off the Dollar Menu...or is it called the Value Menu? I'm not sure, but ordered a cheap meal.

When I got to the pay window the kid inside starts reading off someone else's order. I correct him, which totally flusters him because that person's order came up first on the computer. (Two lane drive through - I was just faster on the gas pedal.) The poor boy couldn't figure out how to pull my order up. That was when the idea to be a good-deed-doer and pay for the guy-behind-me's lunch hit me.

I should have gotten a clue when the kid says, "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I says, feeling generous. "Just tell him that God loves him."

I have to give the kid credit...he didn't roll his eyes at me, but the confused look and gaping mouth said it all.

He rings me up.

My meal...$4.23
The guy behind me in the big black truck...$19.92!

Are you kidding me?

1 FILET-O-FISH MEAL 5.39
1 SML STWBAN SMOOTHIE (DRINK UPCHARGE) 1.39
1 LRG COKE 1.00
1 FILET-O-FISH 3.39
1 20 PIECE MCNUGGETS 4.99
1 SNACK OREO MCFLURRY 1.75

SUBTOTAL 17.91 + TAX 2.01 = 19.92 (the kid gave me the receipt)
What a hog-face!

Ok, so maybe he was taking part of it to someone else and maybe this rant nullifies any kindness that I did, but I'll tell you what...from now on if I want to pay for someone's meal, I'm really gonna Pay it Forward - I'll pay for the person ahead of me, so I'll know how much it's gonna cost me.

No more Paying it Backward!

Have any of you ever had a weird Pay-it-Forward experience?

Oh...and is it cynical of me to wonder if the kid told the guy it was paid for or if he just charged him again and pocketed the $20 bucks. Sigh...I wish I trusted people more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment